Friday, February 12, 2010

A Plea & then ... Something Completely Different

A plea ...

Those of you who have followed my blog know, or have guessed, that I don't kill animals, insects ... basically any living critters ... not even the creepy, crawly variety. In previous posts, I've talked about not killing wasps because they are pollinators, eating meatless meals because they are good for the planet and why we shouldn't buy ornaments which are made out of bird feathers. I realize that not everyone shares my belief ... and I respect that.

I recently received the following article from Humane Society International. It is about the slaughter of Grey Seals on Hay Island in Nova Scotia:

http://www.hsicanada.ca/wildlife/seals/seal_hunt_2010/grey_seals_2810.html

These animals are currently in a protected area ... they have learned to feel safe from humans. Now they are being destroyed, simply for vanity. I believe it's wrong.

If you agree with me, I hope you will sign the letter of protest which can be found on the above link (click the button which says "Take Action"). There is also a very short petition you can sign HERE.

Please spread the word. Maybe if enough people protest this action, we can stop it. Thank you!

And now for something completely different ...

Most over-the-counter pain relievers (Advil, Midol, Motrin, Nuprin, Aleve, Ibuprofen, etc.) are part of a family of drugs called NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). The warnings for these drugs say they can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. For the most part, the warnings are directed at people who already have heart disease, high blood pressure, etc.

I've recently learned, in a most frightening way, that these drugs can cause a totally healthy person to develop high blood pressure in a very short amount of time. And high blood pressure can cause stroke and/or death.

So ... my tip today is to check the labels of over-the-counter pain relievers and if they are NSAIDs or contain Naproxen/naproxen sodium, PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE USING THEM. Better yet ... find other, safer methods to deal with pain.

That's it for today ...

As always ... I would love to hear from you!