Friday, November 7, 2008

Vegan Recipe - Veggies and Dumplings

On chilly winter nights, when I was a child, my Mother often made Chicken and Dumplings. It was warm and comforting ... and I loved those doughy little clouds floating around in rich gravy. When I became a vegetarian, I tried various recipes but ... nothing came close to Mom's version (the "real" thing) ... that is, until I found this recipe. It comes so close to the original that ... if I close my eyes ... I'm 10 again ... bobbing bits of doughy goodness into creamy gravy. I hope you and your family enjoy this.

Veggies and Dumplings
Servings: Approximately 4

Ingredients for Veggie Stew:

1-2 tablespoons oil

1 cup chopped fresh green beans
2 carrots, chopped into small chunks
1-2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 cup frozen green peas
1 quart (4 cups) veggie broth
1/4 cup nutritional yeast

Ingredients for Dumplings:

1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 - 3/4 cup soy milk
2 tablespoons oil

Process:

In a heavy stockpot, heat oil. Add chopped vegetables and peas, cover and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium.

Prepare Dumplings:

Mix four, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add soy milk and oil. Combine to form a batter which should be easy to work with, not too dry and not too moist and thick.

Once vegetables are tender, stir in the nutritional yeast. Then remove about a cup of vegetables and 1/2 cup of the broth and blend in a blender, then add back to the pot and stir. Bring heat up to a slow boil, then lower the heat.

Drop dough by large tablespoons into the pot. Cover and heat for 10 minutes. Continue heating uncovered for another 10 minutes. Sprinkle with pepper and serve.



Mmm ... warm, comforting ... and friendly to the earth. What could be better! As always ... I'd love to hear from you!