This month's recipe comes from ... me! We enjoy it, with homemade rustic bread, for dinner. I hope you and your family enjoy it as well.
1/4 head medium Cabbage, sliced
1 medium Onion, sliced
1 medium Jalepno, sliced
4 large cloves of Garlic
1/4 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1 Bay Leaf
2 large Bouillon Cubes
6-8 cups Water
2 handfuls dried Beans (any variety, rinsed & sorted)
Salt & Pepper as required
- Toss everything, except the salt & pepper, into a soup pot and cook for approximately 90 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as required and continue cooking for another 30 minutes or until beans are cooked.
- Serve hot.
- This is a very versatile soup.
- For a heartier dish try adding cubed potatoes (1 medium), quinoa, pasta, or rice (a small amount ... about 1/4 cup).
- If you like a zestier soup, add cayenne pepper or experiment with different hot peppers.
- Any dried beans work in this recipe but I prefer white beans (Northern, Navy, etc.)
- One can substitute veggie broth for the bouillon cubes & water.
If you have a vegan recipe which you'd like to share, please send it to me HERE. And for all the recipes we've shared so far, be sure to visit our recipe page using the tabs at the top of the page ... or by clicking HERE.