Not only was it expensive, it created a lot of waste! According to treehugger 40 billion water bottles end up in landfills each year.
When reusable bottles first hit the shelves, there weren't a lot of options. In fact, the majority of them were made of plastic. Yes, they were BPA free but still there were concerns about recycling them at the end of their life cycle and the fact that plastic is a petroleum-based product.
Today there are a number of safe, Eco-friendly and inexpensive options available ... beautiful bottles which come in a variety of sizes and colors. One of my favorites is the TAKEYA® Classic Glass Beverage Bottle.
Check out these great features:
- made with thick, durable glass
- silicone jacket provides soft grip and protects the glass bottle
- shock absorbent bottom
- bottle and sleeve are dishwasher safe
- no metal or plastic taste
- leak-proof airtight twist cap
- wide mouth opening fits ice
- see-through window for checking fluid level
- It's the perfect size for my grip ... not too wide around to comfortably hold.
- The silicone has a nice "feel" and keeps condensation from dripping onto the table top or my clothes.
- The "loop" around the neck of the bottle is sturdy making it convenient for clipping onto a backpack or bicycle.
- The mouth of the bottle is the perfect size for sipping.
- There's nothing harmful leaching into my drink.
- When this product is no longer useable, the materials can be recycled.
Are there any concerns about this bottle? The only downside, in my opinion, is that the cap is not attached which may make it easier to lose. I should also mention that while I've been assured that the glass won't break if dropped, I really like the bottle and can't force myself to intentionally drop it for testing.
I'm looking forward to enjoying my TAKEYA® Classic Glass Beverage Bottle this summer with the knowledge that it's safe for both me and the environment.
Do you have a reusable beverage bottle?
UPDATE (11/23/13) - Yesterday I dropped this bottle in my kitchen. It survived!! It continues to be one of my favorite bottles!
I received a TAKEYA® Classic Glass Beverage Bottle in order to write this review. I received no other compensation. All opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and reflect my honest opinion of the product reviewed.