Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Practice makes perfect ...

Incorporating new conservation techniques is, like anything else, something that takes practice.

The other day we returned from a weekend getaway and, as I always do, I went in to give my cat clean water. I took the large bowl of water that had been left out for her and, without thinking, tossed it down the drain. I could have used that water on my plants (which were crying for a little sip) ... but I didn't think.

I got busy unpacking our bags ... tossing certain things in the laundry ... putting some things away in the closet ... and, all of a sudden, realized that practically every light in our apartment was on as I ran around, putting things away. Again ... I just didn't think.

It sounds simple when I hear people say that we just have to think before acting ... but the reality, for me anyway, is that it's not so simple. I seem to run on autopilot a great deal of the time.

There is hope, however. Today when I gave my cat clean water, I thought about it ... and instead of tossing it down the drain, I watered my tomato plants. It's a small thing ... but then, every little change we make helps.

So keeping practicing until the world we live in is perfect!

As always, I would love to hear your ideas for reducing, reusing and recycling. Just click on the comments link, located at the bottom of each post, and let me know what you think and how you conserve.