Friday, August 7, 2009

Vegan Recipe - Cabbage Casserole

What a coincidence that our monthly vegan recipe is being posted at the same time that our "Meatless Meals" challenge is going on. Wow ... one might think that it was planned that way. :)

I'd like to share one of my favorite recipes with you. It makes use of a vegetable that seems to be abundant right now ... cabbage. It's easy to make and, to me, feels like real comfort food. It can be a side dish or the star of your meal. I hope you enjoy it!


Cabbage Casserole

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium cabbage, chopped or shredded
  • 1 cup nutritional yeast
  • Toasted/oiled bread crumbs
  • 4 Tablespoons oil
  • 1/2 - 1 onion, diced
  • Garlic (to taste), minced
  • 4 Tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups soymilk
  • Salt/pepper (to taste)

Method:

Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Boil the cabbage in salted water until tender. Melt oil in a saucepan and saute onion and garlic. Add nutritional yeast and salt/pepper. Stir in flour. Slowly add in soymilk and stir well. Cook sauce over low heat until thick. Layer 1/2 cabbage in large oiled casserole dish. Add 1/2 of sauce, salt & pepper. Start over with layer of cabbage then sauce. Top with toasted bread crumbs. Bake covered for 30 minutes and then 10 minutes uncovered.


I'm not sure where I got this recipe ... I've been making it for years. So, if it's yours, please let me know ... I'd love to give the chef who created this one full credit. Happy eating, everyone!

As always ... I would love to hear from you!