Monday, May 18, 2009

It's a Balancing Act ... (a recycled article with new comments)

Since beginning this blog, I have received many emails saying "I've been bad" ... the author then goes on to talk about his/her guilt at not living up to an Eco-friendly lifestyle. I cringe when I get these emails because I really don't want anyone to feel guilty ... it isn't a productive emotion. Rather, I'd like to encourage awareness and offer so many ideas for living green that everyone will find something which they can do. My belief is that every effort, big or small, counts ... and a small effort today may lead to bigger efforts tomorrow. Looking back through my archive of posts ... I thought this one spoke to that concept:


In my opinion, conservation has to be balanced with our lives. In other words, I’m not going to live in total darkness or never use an electrical appliance just to ensure that I don’t use any electricity … but I am going to pay attention, cut down where I can and make what I use count.

Exhaust fans, especially in the bathroom, are a perfect example. In the winter, where I live, the air gets dry … the “hurt your nose when you breathe” kind of dry. So, I don’t use the exhaust fan when I take a shower and I leave the door open so that our living space benefits from the added moisture. In the summer, however, we get warm, moist air from the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. We get enough humidity, in fact, that if we don’t use exhaust fans and ceiling fans, mold and mildew move right in. And that's not healthy.

When considering the various conservation options, remember to choose the ones that work in your life. Perhaps modify energy saving techniques so that they work for you. In that way, you'll make lasting changes to the world we live in. It's all about balance.

As always, I would love to hear your ideas for reducing, reusing and recycling. Just click on the comments link, located at the bottom of each post, and let me know what you think and how you conserve. Maybe you'll see your ideas in an upcoming post.

2 comments :

  1. I completely agree. One of the main reasons why I started my own blog was to inspire to take steps towards a greener life and that every little one of those steps count for something. If everyone would take a few steps, then the world would be a much better place. I think the problem is right now that we are at a cross-roads and the ones that are putting forth the effort feel like they have to make up for the ones that don't. Hopefully, that will soon not be such a reality.

    Ways I reduce, reuse and recycle...

    Recycle : Everything I possibly can! So that point is mute. Although we did build our first compost bin this year so all our compostables will soon be recycled into yummy fertilizer!

    Reduce : Between the recycling and the compost bin, we have recently realized that a box of 36 biodegrable trash bags (21 in. X 26 in.) lasts us over 9 months! That is about 1 bag a week and we could not be more pleased!

    Reuse : LOL! They call me the garbage lady at work! I bring all my lunch in reused yogourt containers and Mason jars.

    Great tip : Reuse all your glas jars for storage! I keep all my discarded pasta sauce, condiment jars, glass bottles to store my grains, pastas, dried goods, spices, maple si=yrup, honey... They are wonderful because they fit very thightly on a shelf, are transparent and stackable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilt comes in some many ways, shape, and so on. Still though I agree we all must do our part to help save this world of ours!
    As for me I try to do as much as I can. Mostly by trying to becoming more aware of what I am doing wrong! Some examples that I have tried to help in saving our planet is by recycling.
    That I reuse the butter containers that the butter comes in. As well as all other plastic containers that I am able to. Especially after a good washing of them first!
    Another way is that I try to do large loads of laundry instead of small loads. That way I only have to do less instead of more. If that makes sense to you all. To me it saves on the amount of laundry detergent I have to use! Plus I hang my clothes out on the clothes line instead of using the clothes dryer. Nothing like fresh air to dry your clothes!
    I also wash my dishes by hand and let them air dry too. I really do not like having a dishwasher.
    Oh well, another thing that comes to mind is that I love watching HGTV. Now that is where I do get alot of neat ides from on "Going Green" too. Still though your blog helps me by far the most!!!!
    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete