Friday, January 2, 2009

Vegan Recipes - Tofu, Rice and Vegetable Casserole

Last month, a kind reader asked me to post a recipe with ingredients one might find in an Asian market. I hope that this recipe meets that request. It is easy, packed with nutrition ... and delicious. I hope you enjoy it!

Tofu, Rice and Vegetable Casserole Recipe

4 servings
1 hour 20 min prep

Ingredients:

1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
2 tablespoons vegan margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (to taste)
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach
1 lb frozen tofu
1 cup frozen corn
hot water
Braggs liquid aminos (optional)
tamari (optional)
salt (optional)

  1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown the rice, stirring constantly; pour it into a greased or pan-sprayed 1-1/2-quart or larger oven-safe casserole.
  2. In the same saucepan, melt the margarine and add the onion and curry powder. Note that you might want to add a bit of tamari, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, or salt if you're using curry powder that does not contain salt.
  3. Cook until the onion's almost transparent, about 5 minutes, and then add the spinach, tofu, and corn; cook until all are thawed, breaking up the tofu with a spoon.
  4. When through, drain, pressing the liquid out of the vegetable/tofu mixture (or you can just squish it through your fingers, in which case, of course, cool it slightly beforehand).
  5. Reserve this liquid and add enough hot water to it to make 2 cups. In a separate container, heat this liquid to boiling.
  6. Stir the boiling liquid back into the vegetable/tofu mixture and bring it all to a boil.
  7. Remove it from the heat and stir it into the rice that's in the casserole dish.
  8. Cover and bake it at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.

Notes:
  • Any kind of rice will work in this recipe ... I personally use brown rice. Just be sure to adjust the cooking times according to the directions for the type of rice you use.
  • Instead of vegan margarine, one may use oil (olive or canola).
  • If spinach is not available, try mong toi (malabar spinach) or any mild tasting green.
  • If frozen corn is not available, try frozen peas or any other slightly sweet vegetable.
  • I have tried this recipe both as written and using fresh, instead of frozen, ingredients. The texture is slightly different but the flavors are just as wonderful.
As always ... I would love to hear from you!


14 comments :

  1. Great... sounds like a recipe easy enough for ME to follow! :D We're vegetarian and I love trying out different recipes. We've also began growing our own veggies and I hope to grow a lot more this coming year. Thank you for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me hungry, my friend.

    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would try this. Now it is just getting my meat eating husband to try it! LOL
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an extremely picky eater, but I gotta say the recipe sounds pretty good. Thanks for the great content as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for that wonderful recipe. All the ingredients are, yes, available here in Manila. My wife will surely love this. She's just learning how to cook and this is a great help for her. We are also celebrating our 15th wed anniversary on the 3rd day of January and we can include this vegan recipe to the menu. I only hope that the taste will be the same as yours. LOL.
    I agree also (by looking at the ingredients )that this is very nutritious.
    I want to share the Filipino word translation to all the ingredients mention in your recipe.

    Rice – BIGAS
    Cooked Rice - KANIN
    Margarine – MANTIKILYA
    Cooking oil – MANTIKA
    Tofu – TOKWA
    Spinach – ESPINADAS (I will try our local spinach called KANGKONG)
    Corn – MAIS
    Salt – Asin

    That’s about it. Thanks to you!

    Keep up the good work. You are one of my inspirations to keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sober, make it for him but don't mention that it's meat-free. After he's said how good it was, then tell him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I like all the notes on substitutions too, because it lets me know dabbling with the recipe won't change the basic composition or flavor enough to ruin it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh! I want to try it! I've had some meat in the last week - we had company and I try to eat what everyone else is eating...but my hb also prepared veg-tarian meals...

    anyway - what is: Braggs liquid aminos?

    Roger made an eggplant parmasiana that was SO good - I need to give you the recipe. It's not vegan, though - as it has cheese, but it can be taken out or a substitute.

    And as to your comment on my blog - *smiling* -- it's true, isn't it? these mountains cradle....it's a special special place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kathryn,

    Braggs liquid aminos can be found in any whole foods type store, health food store and some grocery stores. It is similar in look and taste to soy sauce but without all of the sodium ... and it is an excellent source of vital amino acids.

    Take Care!

    SF

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Small Footprints,
    This is a really really cool blog! I came here via John's page...I'm glad I did. I'll be following. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh! I could find that in Asheville at Earth Fare or Green life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kat,

    Yes indeedy ... both Earth Fare and Green Life carry it (my personal favorite is Earth Fare).

    BTW ... I would love your eggplant Parmesan recipe. There are some real good vegan cheese substitutes on the market ... they are so much like the real thing that guests have asked me if I'm "bending" my own vegan rules. (hehe)

    Take Care!

    SF

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Small Footprints that Bragg's products are a healthier choice and really makes food taste nicer without all the unnecessary health hazards.

    Those who wish to know more can click HERE. They do have an online store FYI.

    PS# I am not affiliated in any way to Bragg :p

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds delicious, I doesn't look to difficult either!! Can't wait to try it. :0)

    ReplyDelete