Wednesday, February 11, 2009

8 Quick "Green" Tips

Here are a few quick "green" tips:

  1. When going to an ATM, "Pay at the Pump" gas station or Starbucks ... say "no" to a receipt. You'll save tons of paper.

  2. Here's a great idea for towels, pillows, blankets, jackets and coats (even furs) that aren't in good enough shape to either use or donate to a thrift store ... donate them to an animal shelter or Humane Society. They'll use them for bedding, baths, etc.

  3. Rather than defrosting food on the counter or using a microwave, plan ahead and defrost food in the refrigerator. It'll take a little longer ... but it will lower the temperature of the refrigerator and ... save energy. Brilliant!

  4. Have a pair of shoes that are no longer wearable because of a hole in the bottom or a broken heel? Before rushing out to buy a new pair, take them to a shoe repair shop and see if they can be fixed. Often times, the fix will be far less expensive than a new pair of shoes and ... you'll keep one more item out of a landfill.

  5. Receive and pay your bills online ... and, rather than print out the receipt or confirmation ... save it to a file where it will be accessible if you need it. You'll save time, a stamp and paper.

  6. Get a few houseplants ... they'll clean up the air and decorate your home.

  7. Rather than buy bagged vegetables from the grocery store ... buy whole vegetables. Bagged veggies, like salad mixes, are washed using ... yep ... you guessed it ... chlorine. Chlorine causes all kinds of environmental problems. If you'd like to read a good discussion about it, click HERE (towards the end of the article there is a discussion about bagged lettuce).

  8. Spring is just around the corner and that means that birds who have wintered in warmer climates will be returning to nest. Help them along by building a bird house. If you have kids, invite them to participate ... it is a great way to get them interested in "green" activities.

What quick green tips do you have?

As always ... I'd love to hear from you!


16 comments :

  1. We buy a big tub (rather than bag) of lettuce, but it is organic. Do you know whether organic lettuce is washed the same way? Ditto that question for the organic bagged baby carrots we buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say no to the receipts but I also bring my reusable travel mug to Starbucks, they are happy to fill it for me. Some of these tips I never thought of, so thank you, I will be using them now. I don't upbraid anyone for not recycling, but I do pass along good tips if I know them. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips, thank you. I never even gave that first one a thought. And thanks for the link, I will be checking that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I find myself doing many of these, #2 is a wonderful idea and will become a must in this household. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas. Take care and enjoy your Today!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quirky Mom ... I've done a little research (not extensive by any means) but it appears that washing organic produce with chlorine is permitted under the USDA National Organic Program. They use it because it helps to kill any bugs or bacteria on the vegetables. While it won't necessarily hurt humans, it does get into waterways and when combined with other things can become toxic. Baby carrots in a bag are also washed with chlorine as are any processed fruits and vegetables. So the less processed, the less probability that chlorine was used. When there are roots and dirt on the product ... they probably haven't been subjected to a chlorine bath. Some grocery stores spray all produce with a chlorine mixture. So ... whenever possible, get produce from a farmer's market. If your only option is produce from a grocery store ... try to choose the least processed items possible. Basically the idea, here, is to minimize the use of chemicals by not buying processed produce.

    Thanks for asking!

    SF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the one about the shelter! I have been doing this for years. The shelters can also use old litter boxes (if you no longer have a cat. Leashes and collers are also in need.
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips!

    I've never had a new pair of boots for about five years now. I've got a pair of black pseudo-victorian lace-up boots that I just can't part with and just keep getting them re-heeled every so often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    they have a fantastic street over here that is just one shoe repair stall after another. :)

    (Yup, I love Indian food purely because they have dishes that bring out the best of vegan/vegetarian food - they don't just try to make meatless dishes taste like their meaty counterparts.
    One of these days I will whack up a few recipes... once I manage to get them right :P)

    Little J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to tell you that I have converted a friend and myself to only buying TP that is not bleached. One small step, I know but a step nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great!! So easy to implement....and I do most of them anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never knew about Tip #2. Thank you for informing us about it. I will now start doing that. Also the Tip # 7! Thank goodness that I wash all of my veggies and meats too! Still though I could never "Thank You" enough for keeping us all informed like you do! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait! I didn't know they washed those bagged or boxed lettuces in chlorine ...erk!

    Also didn't know about the shelters....!

    I do say no to receipts and use online banking *smiling*

    Also, I heard using the garbage disposal too much (or at all???) is "bad" - is that true? have you done anything on garbage disposals?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kathryn ... yep, garbage disposals aren't environmentally friendly. And yep ... I wrote about it ... way back in August. Here's the link:

    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/2008/08/garbage-disposals-to-use-or-not-use.html

    Oh ... that reminds me ... I've added a search feature to Reduce Footprints ... mainly because I got tired of trying to go back to find an article. :)

    Thanks for asking!

    SF

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good tips! I always try and cook food that will last for days so that I don't waste too much energy cooking something new everyday! And I dry my clothes in the air rather than using a dryer...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice tips RF!

    How about taking a shower together with your mate most of the times. It'll not only save you thousand of liters of water but also strengthen your bond. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. just popping in quickly as the battery is going thanks for popping by my wee blog

    look forward to getting to know you

    mel x

    ReplyDelete