Friday, February 6, 2009

Vegan Recipe - Lo Mein Noodles


Our bloggy friend Connie Mishali, of Connie Mishali's Weblog, kindly agreed to share one of her favorite vegan recipes with us. I recently tried it and ... it's delicious! Connie said it's one of her favorites because "... it's super easy and fast. Plus, it doesn't require any exotic "vegan" ingredients so it's user friendly for the carnivores and omnivores among us. It's fairly cheap and is easy to double or triple to take to a potluck or otherwise feed a crowd."

A big
CULINARY THANK YOU to Connie for sharing this with us!


Lo Mein Noodles

2 Tbs soy sauce
½ lb linguine
2 Tbs oil (I like peanut oil)
1 large onion, minced
1 ½ lbs broccoli
1 red pepper, cut in thin strips
1 Tbs minced garlic
2 tsp minced ginger
1 c vegetable broth
2 Tbs hoisin sauce
2 tsp cornstarch & 2 tsp water
½ c chopped peanuts

Cook noodles, toss with 1 Tbs oil, set aside. Heat 1 Tbs oil in pan, cook onion, broccoli and pepper until veggies are soft. Add garlic and ginger. Add soy sauce, hoisin sauce and broth. Thicken with water/cornstarch mixture, cook about 3 minutes. Add noodles and toss well. Sprinkle with nuts. Yum, yum, yum!

Again ... a big THANK YOU to Connie for this recipe. I don't know about you ... but I'm heading for the kitchen.

As always ... I'd love to hear from you!

14 comments :

  1. I'm a vegetarian, so I appreciate this. I don't cook as much as I should, but I have started back tentatively. I will try this.
    I'm visiting from Katie's blog....she gave you an award :-)
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a similar recipe to one I use often. Yummers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, this I like! Delicious, economical food AND good for the planet:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I must try this meal. Thank you Connie for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds tasty and will definitely go on my menu list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try adding a little blackpepper sauce and maybe some fresh mushrooms, and beansprouts and you have got blackpepper noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,Small Footprints!
    I think this nice meal is rather similar with what we call "yasai-ramen",or chinese noodle with various vegetable.It is popular way to cook and eat noodles in Japan, and maybe also in other Asian countries,even though the ingrediants would be a little different respectivly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm this makes me hungry! I am going to make this soon! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good to me............I'll show it to my wife
    darrel
    www.whydepression.info

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!
    This is great. We have Filipino version of this recipe: "Pancit Canton" but without peanuts.

    Better try this with peanuts. I'm sure my son will love this. He's fond of noodles.

    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Lo Mein Noodles. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks very tasty, thanks!

    Best,

    AJN
    http://adamjamesnall.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello i am a vegan beginner checkout my blog http://destined4amiracle.blogspot.com. i have just wrote a little bit about my experience of transitioning to veganism and still learning. this is great because i have been looking for other vegans. so i am following your blog and i hope to find more vegans and learn from there experiences as well. talk to u soon. GOD BLESS.

    ReplyDelete