(Sorry ... it's so good that I didn't have a chance to take a picture before digging in.)
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 6 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. table salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 425 degrees. Spray 8-inch-square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the ground flax seed, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer the ground flax seed in the water for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well-combined.
- Add the ground flax seed mixture, soy milk, and canola oil to the flour mixture. Beat just until smooth (do not over beat).
- Turn into prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes, invert cornbread onto wire rack, then turn right side up and continue to cool until warm, about 10 minutes longer. Cut into pieces and serve.
- For a delicious twist, try using coconut milk instead of soy milk (we like Silk brand).
- Rather than boil the water, I simply grind the flax seed in the blender, add the water and continue to blend for about a minute until it thickens.
If you have a vegan recipe which you'd like to share, please send it to me HERE. All of our featured recipes can be found by clicking the "Vegan Recipe" tab at the top of this blog or by clicking HERE.