Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Need a little more motivation?

While saving the earth is, all by itself, reason enough to reduce the amount of energy we use, it's real nice when we see other benefits as well ... like saving money. The energy company in my area has a great website. On it, I can track my energy usage and see how my efforts are working.

I'm happy to report that in the last year, our average daily kWh usage has dropped by 45%. And that translates into dollars and cents. Wow!


The effort wasn't all that difficult, either ... unplugging electronics when not in use, turning off lights, twisting off light bulbs in the bathroom (who needs that much light), using ceiling fans instead of air conditioning, and the biggie ... switching off our water heater for all but 30 minutes a day.


So I ask you ... if you could cut your electric bill in half, what would you do with the money? Now that's motivation!


As always, I would love to hear your ideas for reducing, reusing and recycling. Just click on the comments link, located at the bottom of each post ... or click on my email address located in the left sidebar under "Contact us" ... and let me know what you think and how you conserve.