Friday, July 3, 2009

Vegan Recipe - Kale & Onion Stir-Fry

When we were at our farmer's market last week, it seemed that every booth had kale ... which I adore. A particular bunch of Red Russian Kale drew my attention ... it was so beautiful with it's purplish, red ribs. So, of course, I had to have some.


Kale is so healthy, with it's antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is high in fiber, beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin and calcium. It also contains sulforaphane, which is believed to have potent anti-cancer properties, particularly when chopped or minced. In the vegetable world, kale is a nutritional powerhouse!


Nutrition aside ... I just think it tastes good.



The following recipe is simple, using only 5 ingredients, and can be prepared quickly. I hope you and your family will enjoy it:



KALE & ONION STIR-FRY


Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. fresh green kale
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 2 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar

Preparation:
  1. Clean kale and remove ribs. Coat a wok or skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat on medium-high. Add kale and onions. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes.

  2. Add rice vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Reduce to medium and stir until kale and onions are crisp-tender.

  3. Enjoy!


As always ... I would love to hear from you!

11 comments :

  1. I haven't done a lot of cooking with kale but that does sound good.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am intrigued by kale, but have not cooked with it much. so thank-you for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of onions do you recommend for this? Does it matter? I'd imagine a sweeter onion would be ideal . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect timing, our sweet Walla Walla onions are being harvested now.
    SQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kale is a favorite dish among the Chinese, popularly known as the kai-lan-choy. It tastes good as well when cooked with garlic and/or oyster sauce.

    You'll be pleasantly surprised to know that kale is one of the foods with the highest contents of lutein & zeaxanthin, 2 carotenoids proven to reduce the risk of AMD and cataract.

    But I do want to point out that for certain individuals, they might want to take kale in moderation or avoid it altogether, due to their pre-existing medical conditions, specifically those with kidney or gallbladder problems and those with thyroid problems.

    And I strongly advise choosing organic kale, because according to the Environmental Working Group's 2009 report "Shopper's Guide to Pesticides," kale is among the 12 foods on which pesticide residues have been most frequently found.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just had this the other night! We grow kale, so we have been having this quite often, and changing it up at times as well. We also add sesame seeds or raisins or almonds or walnuts. Sometimes, we make quinoa and add the kale saute to it...

    My other (even more) FAVORITE way to eat kale is juiced raw with orange and apples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aime, thanks for your question. I think any onions would taste wonderful in this dish. At this time of year, I use whatever is local (most recently I found an Italian variety in our farmer's market). I have, however, used the plain yellow onion from the store and also Vidalia onions. My personal preference are the local onions first (they seem to be sweeter than store bought and not strong at all) and then the Vidalia.

    Take Care!

    SF

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a kale lover but your recipe did make it sound tempting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've yet to taste Kale! But I've always wanted to -- I'll look for it next time I'm in the grocery.... :)

    By the way! I finally have my date for the Malaprops signing! August 15 at 7PM ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kale and Chard are my favorite leafy greens. Thank you for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very fantastic recipe! Actually my wife add this to her cook book and she always cooking this every sunday. This dish is actually very tasty and my kids also like this this.

    Easy Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete