Friday, July 31, 2009

Repurposeful Crafting


This week's challenge (which you can read HERE) asked us to get creative using repurposed items. It's something that we, in my family, do all the time. So ... in keeping with the challenge, I'm going to do a photo essay of some of our projects. I hope you enjoy them!






A wine box gets a paint job and becomes a unique planter.














A piece of scrap wallpaper is the canvas for this beautiful painting.

















Found some broken jewelry and made new earrings.




















It once held juice ... then, in the winter, it became a terrarium ... home for a small cutting of Creeping Jenny which travelled, in my pocket, from Chicago. In the summer, we opened the side ... and Jenny "creeped" out.















Coffee cans are now a home for Habanero peppers.
















The pages of a recovered book became the canvas for this delicious strawberry.


















And Mona was painted on a homemade sketch book using a recycled cover from an old book and recovered blueprint paper. Isn't she lovely?










I hope that these creations inspire you to look at common items, destined for a landfill, in a new way ... and possibly give them a new, interesting life.

As always, I would love to hear from you!

19 comments :

  1. I like your ideas! I wish I was talented enough to paint.
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, you're very resourceful but I expected nothing less!

    That strawberry looks good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very very cool!!!! for a moment i didn't even recognize it was a juice container !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, i made an purse from an off0cut of fabric and a spare button. please have a look


    http://makingmegreen.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-purse.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas, I like your paintings and the earrings too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cousin uses her family's outgrown/outworn pants to make purses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool tricks for the Maxwell house cans. I dig the artwork as well. BTW - yea, I will be heading to the Rockin River Fest but my wife has to work. We need to do an anti-rain dance. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are some lovely creations.Thanks for sharing .

    www.aynzan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your strawberry! The written word is a great canvas for art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. different ideas new horizons thanks a lot sharing,stay well,best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  11. A delightful post SF, shows that we can all do a little with what's left over.

    AV

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are all very cool. I don't do or have time for crafts. Maybe when I retire, lol. I do reuse a lot of stuff around my house and posted a blog this week with your link. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry, I was a delayed this time around ~ I just completed my blog post for last week's challenge. Looking forward to the new week's challenge. Thank you for sharing this opportunity with us.

    http://mysticle.blogspot.com/2009/08/change-world-wednesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, these are all very cool! Repurposing can be fun! Since I am a gardener, I love the coffee cans and the creeping jenny in the juice bottle!
    Maggie xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. All creative ideas for recycling that look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of your repurposed creations are fabulous!
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are awesome ideas! Thank you for playing with us over at Inspiration Avenue. It was fun perusing through your genius ideas.
    Tammy ;D

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fabulous creations - how did you have so many great ideas! I love the plant holders and I love painting onto old bookpages too :)

    ReplyDelete