Okay ... on to our recipe.
Eating local and in season is very "green" ... so here's a wonderful recipe to get you started.
I hope that you and your family enjoy it.
2 & 1/4 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbs. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup oil or shortening
1 egg substitute (Ener-G), prepared and beaten
2/3 cup soy milk
3 pints fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups whipped topping of your choice (Hip Whip, etc.) or Vegan Ice Cream
- Slice the strawberries and sprinkle them with 1/2 cup of sugar. Let stand.
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Grease and flour one 8" cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, 2 Tbs. sugar, and salt.
- With a pastry blender (or two knives), cut in the oil or shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg sub. and soy milk. Stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool partially in the pan on wire rack.
- Slice partially-cooled cake in half, making two layers.
- Arrange the strawberries on one layer, and the top with the other layer.
- Top with remaining strawberries, and cover with the whipped topping or ice cream.
As always ... I would love to hear from you.