Monday, October 19, 2009

Beautiful Falling Leaves

I love this time of year ... the air is crisp and the fall colors are lovely. Every time that the wind picks up, leaves float to the ground ... a cascade of yellow, orange and red. The ground becomes nature's patchwork quilt.

Those beautiful falling leaves bring me to today's quick tips:

  • Leaves that fall in the yard and flower beds can be left to decompose and nourish the soil. They also act as mulch, protecting plants from winter temperatures.


  • Forgo the air blower or hose for walkways and decks ... grab a broom and get busy. The only energy you'll burn is your own ... and how healthy is that!!


  • Once leaves are gathered up from the driveway, walkway or patio, add them to your compost pile ... or start one if you haven't already done so. In the spring, you'll have rich soil for your garden.


  • I don't usually give you tips that say "Don't ..." but in this case I'll offer one: Don't burn leaves as a way to dispose of them. The smoke caused by burning leaves is polluting and compromises air quality.



There you go ... easy tips ... big environmental benefits.


As always ... I would love to hear from you!

9 comments :

  1. Just the friend I need! Wonderful post. Thanks for finding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how i love your tips.
    Another well written post as always.
    hugs hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooorrrrr - You can make a huge pile with your kids and have an amazing time jumping in them. Or hide a treasure in the pile and everyone has to dive in and get it. I used to love taking my kids to the parks in Paris (with their gum boots on) and make huge piles of orange leaves for them to jump in... Now I can do it in my own garden; so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I beleive that we must have environment policy all uf us.Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leaves make the best compost and you don't need a special container. I just throw them in an old XXXL sized planter. We have one messy corner in our yard where we park old bikes and other mess. There I just leave the leaves be. In spring I can literally scrape the compost from the concrete. That's how easy it is to make your own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is fall, but it is not too cold to ride a bike.

    http://ann-mythoughtsandphotos.blogspot.com/2009/10/save-world-wednesday-think-green_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read some where you can store the leaves in big garbage bags, and they will slowly decompose. I have just done with some hedge cuttings, and am not sure how long it takes,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate those blowers! ugh! they're loud and obnoxious - give me a broom *smiling*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leaves do make the best compost. I also use them to mulch my plants for the winter. I generally just mow them to break them up a bit and then spread them over all my plants. Can't stand the burning. It's still legal here, but in my old town you would get fined heavily for burning!

    ReplyDelete