Monday, October 5, 2009

Why trees are important ... by Little Miss Green

As you might remember, one of our recent Change The World Wednesday challenges was all about kids (you can read that challenge HERE). While I was impressed with all of the articles written about that challenge, I was particularly impressed by the stories of children who take it upon themselves to live a "greener" life. They are Eco-Stars and the hope for our future.

One such Eco-Star is Little Miss Green, the eight year old daughter of Mrs. Green who writes a fabulous blog called
Little Green Blog. Little Miss Green is amazing ... she seems to consider all of her actions and judges them according to what is best for the earth. So, I thought it would be fun to hear from her. She (with the approval of her mom) kindly agreed to write something for us. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do:


Why trees are important

One of the things I love most in the world is trees.

I live in an area surrounded by trees and we have some in our garden too, so I'm very lucky. Trees, along with water are the most important things in the world because we need them to live.

I enjoy climbing them and if they all get cut down to make paper I won't have any to climb.

The most important thing is they give us oxygen and breathe in carbon dioxide which allows us to breathe.

Trees are houses for squirrels and birds, wasps and bees and they give us and the earth shade on sunny days.

They also provide us with food and if you're very poor this can be the only thing that keeps you alive.

If there are no trees, animals can start to die. If the bees start to die, we could start to die as well because they pollinate one third of all the food we eat.

Bees pollinate cotton too. Without cotton our clothes would have to be made from polyester. Polyester is made from oil and they cut Mother Nature's face open to get the oil.

Bees also give us beeswax. My Mummy uses beeswax to make me lipsalve to keep my lips comfy in the Winter and she adds manuka honey to make it extra special. She also uses beeswax to make creams to heal my skin if I cut it.

Trees are also very very important in floods. If we did not have trees you can have flooding when it rains. That is why there are nearly always trees around a stream. If there weren't any trees to drink the water the stream or river would flood and destroy the land.

When there is flooding and if it's on a steep hill, all the water would rush down the hill. If this kept happening, soon the soil would begin to roll down the hill too and might fall on top of houses and kill people.

I use tea tree, eucalyptus and neem oil to keep me healthy. Without these trees I would not have this special, safe medicines to use and I might have to use man made drugs instead.

Dead leaves turn into compost which makes the soil fertile. When the soil is healthy it can grow new things in it like more trees, food and pretty flowers.

I have six trees in my garden and I love them all.

Maisie lives by the side of the garage and shades my den. She blocks the entrance so no trespassers can get in. She has dark green leaves which make good collages.

Leafy is a tall sycamore tree which my tree house is built in. He is possible to climb but he is very big. I fly the helicopters which he scatters over my treehouse platform. He is the biggest of the lot. He protects me from the rain. There is a bees nest in him and whenever I go into my treehouse playing he gives off special messages because the bees never sting me.

Rose is the boss of all the trees. She is a rose tree with white flowers. Rose is unique and different from the others. She is quite stern and stubborn but as she is so different from the others I almost love her best. She is the smallest.

Maggie is a magnolia tree. She gives me lovely buds; when I was younger I used to think they were butterflies. She also gives me lovely sweet flowers and in spring until winter she is covered with lovely dark green leaves. Occasionally I pick off a small stem and it smells like lavender. I love Maggie; she is my favourite.

Buddy has lovely pink sweet-smelling flowers in the winter time. She is beautiful to look at with her dark green leaves. She is too small to climb and is more bush like. Her leaves have a red tinge to them which looks beautiful.

Apple is more difficult to climb. He gives me lots and lots of apples with red patches on which Mummy made into Apple and Blackberry pie. He has two branches leaning over my hammock which I swing on.

Grayling is a lovely tree for climbing. He's a cheerful happy lad who loves talking to me in his heart. At the very bottom of his trunk there is a branch which I get to bounce up and down on. My best friend likes him too because she learned to climb in him.

I love trees, they are beautiful to look at and give us so much. I don't like it when people cut trees down to be greedy and we should all take care of and love the trees.

Wasn't that wonderful? I don't know about you, but with the future of the earth in the hands of children, like Little Miss Green, I feel a lot better.

As always ... I would love to hear from you!

20 comments :

  1. That was beautiful. An excellent post. More full of life and joy than anything I've seen recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Little Miss Green, I love your article! I think you have been touched by the very heart of mother nature, because you understand something that's terribly important. Trees were here before humans and animals, thney helped to create the beautiful worls we live in. They helped to make the lovely clean air that fills our lungs with life every brath we take. Let me tell you a secret that is true: If the world leaders had as much love and appreciation of trees as you, this worls wouold be a much better and safer place to live in.

    Thank-you for seeing the truth and god bless your writing. It is a gift to treasure and maybe one day help to make our world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! This is so positive I love it - and I love trees too Little Miss Green. You might like my post too - littlemissplanet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! this made me smile!

    and thank you for posting your link to the "support our bloggers/local vendors" post! :) yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can we say?Excellent idea,new opinion,new ideas and horizons,I congrulate him.Very sensitive daughter for enviroment and flora fauna,we wait same sensitive all peoples.Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful, well written, lovely piece of writing! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a brilliant post =] trees are wonderful, and I'm so glad someone else gives them their own names =] also, good point about the cotton- I hadn't thought about the lack of bees affecting even our clothing!

    Thanks for a lovely post =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful article. You brought it to life so beautifully and it certainly is a wake up call about the importance of trees in the eco-system. We have some massive trees in our garden too, unfortunately these ones can't be climbed because the men that built the house decided to take off all the lower branches - that's sad for my sons. However, we had a wonderful climbing tree in America and all of us used to sit amongst his leaves and listen to him "whisper" to us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely article. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done little Miss Green! Beautifully written and from the heart.
    Charlotte x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great article, Little Miss Green! I love trees too and loved hearing about all the different trees in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautifully written, insightful post. You obviously understand a lot about ecological issues and how we need to change to combat problems. I especially like your description of your trees, your love for nature and your trees shine through!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant post. If I was still the editor of a magazine I'd commission you. Honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is marvelous! Her writing style and the things she notices and says reminds me very much of Opal Whiteley (if you've ever read The Singing Creek Where the Willows Grow you know what I mean).

    I would advise Little Miss Green to keep a nature journal if she doesn't already so she can have a record of her thoughts and nature observations to refer back to when she's older. She is a very talented, inspirational young lady.

    Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful post. I didn't know quite what polyester was. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful makes me want to go outside and find some trees to love - thanks for the inspiration little miss green. Ps my 3 year old loves your leaf crown :-D Clair and Meg x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love trees and this is a spectacular job by Little Ms. Green. Thanks SF.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful and inspiring young one... *sighs* I hope to give that gift of understanding to my kids one day!

    Wonderful article and thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Little Miss Green

    Well done on writing such an informative and interesting article. Thank you for sharing your passion for trees and I LOVE that the trees in your garden have names! Wish we had a garden big enough for some nice big trees, but we have a fairly small pear tree that we planted a few years ago, so I shall ask my little boys to think of a name for it!

    Would love to read some more articles written by you, and was so interested to read about the creams that your Mummy makes from beeswax - she sounds like an amazingly clever person. You must be very proud of her for wanting to look after you so well that she makes lovely natural creams for you to use. Perhaps, with her permission, you could write some of her recipes for your next article...

    Love Arlette x

    ReplyDelete
  20. that was sooooooooooooo sweet it made me cry! Ok call me a crybaby but i was also learniing awesome facts aboout trees so i LOVED it!






    Thanks for trees and you Miss Green

    ReplyDelete