Friday, November 2, 2012

Vegan Recipe - Chili (sin carne)

Welcome to the first Friday of the month. Once a month we share a vegan recipe. Why? Because meatless meals are good for the planet (check out an early post on the subject HERE).

This month I'm sharing one of my own creations ... Chili. It features dried beans which are very wallet-friendly, easy to cook, healthy and delicious. The recipe calls for stove-top cooking but would easily work in a crock-pot. I hope you and your family enjoy it!


Cyndi's Chili (sin carne)

Servings: 2-3 adult portions

Ingredients

1/2 cup dried black beans - sorted & rinsed
1/2 cup dried pinto beans - sorted & rinsed
1/2 cup dried chick peas (garbanzo beans) - sorted & rinsed
1 Bay Leaf
3 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
1 can (16 oz) tomatoes (approximately 2 cups)
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small dried chili pepper, soaked then chopped (can also use fresh peppers or pepper flakes, as hot or mild as you like)
Water (enough to cover beans by about 1 inch ... add more if you like your chili more soup-like)

Optional Toppings:

Sliced green onions
Vegan cheddar "cheese"
Vegan "sour cream"

Method

Soak beans overnight or quick soak them (cover with water, bring to a boil and let sit for an hour). Rinse beans after soaking.

Place everything into a heavy pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, checking occasionally that the water level is appropriate.

During the last 1/2 hour of cooking, adjust salt/pepper and taco seasoning to your taste.

Serve with toppings of your choice.

We like to enjoy this chili with Vegan Cornbread.

If you have a vegan recipe which you'd like to share, please send it to me HERE. And for all the recipes we've shared so far, be sure to visit our recipe page using the tabs at the top of this blog ... or by clicking HERE.



14 comments :

  1. Well this sounds lovely and I love the idea of the addition of the oatmeal; I guess that swells up and takes on the taste of the chillis? I remember you advising me and Green Steve to up the herbs and spices when starting with vegan cooking; so a meal like this ticks all the boxes - tasty, good for you and the planet and frugal!
    Thanks SF x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, and I have everything in my cupboard except the vegan sour cream. I'm going to have to give it a try this weekend. The cornbread sounds great as well. Thanks for sharing, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. Green - the oatmeal actually dissolves and acts like a thickener ... it gives the sauce a very silky texture. If the spices seem a bit too much, I would suggest adding them in slowly, to your taste. Let me know if you try it! :-)

    Thanks, Amanda ... the vegan sour cream is wonderful but not a requirement. I typically just use the onions. Let me know if you try it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I really had chilli (of any sort), I was in England as a poor student, eating chilli cheese wedges (vegetarian chili over thick potato wedges with some cheese on top) for two pounds fifty a huge plate. I now make chilli the way I had it there, and Kevin tells me I've got a funny idea of what chilli should be. :-) Mine involves a lot of vegetables -- chunks of eggplant, zucchini, corn, and bell peppers, fewer beans (not a big fan), fire roasted tomatoes, and a hefty dash of cayenne and chili powder. I would never have thought of adding oatmeal as a thickener! I add a little corn starch towards the end if it's soupy. Maybe I'll try your recipe this week and see if Kevin stops complaining about how I do it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds yummy! I have recently become a huge fan of pinto beans and just loaded up on a bunch of dried beans. I also love that you cook everything together starting from dried beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer - I've used oatmeal as a thickener in soups & stews ... it works great & I really like the added nutrition. I'd love to know how you and your hubby like this recipe. :-) Your veggie-rich chili sounds great!

    Here's a tip for those who have "intestinal distress" from beans ... soak them a full 24 hours, drain and rinse well ... then cook normally. It makes them much more digestible and I've read that it increases their nutrition because they begin the sprouting process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kristina - I'm basically a lazy cook so if a recipe requires much more than simply tossing in ingredients and cooking, I pass on it. :-) I should mention, too, that any assortment of beans work in this chili and one could even just use one kind (although I find using more than one kind gives the dish complexity and interest). Hope you try it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both the chili and cornbread sound yummy. Perfect for meatless mondays or anyother day! I never thought to use oatmeal so that was nice to learn too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I have never tried chickpeas in a chili. That really sounds yummy! I think I will try it out this week. This and the vegan corn bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tina ... Oh yeah, it would be perfect for Meatless Monday!

    Hi Lilah ... using a combination of beans, in my opinion, gives the dish a nice variety of textures. And I adore chick peas. :-) Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love chili! I've never had any with oats before, but this sounds great!
    Thanks for posting over at This Flourishing Life's Menu Monday. So sorry I forgot to include the linky in this week's post :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica ... thanks for dropping by. I love your Menu Monday linky! :-) Yep, the oatmeal is my "secret" ingredient. I also use it when making cream of cauliflower or mushroom soup instead of the milk/cream ... works great!

      Delete
  12. Oh this looks delicious! I make our chili this way but without the oats. Never thought of using them but sounds really interesting.I will have to incorporate them next time!

    ReplyDelete